SITE PREPARATION: The proposed site for the Wild Child Vertical Garden Project contains eight large trees in various stages of deterioration. These trees will be removed, and new ones planted at the back of the property to reduce the impact of tree removal, such as carbon levels and global warming. Replanting also boosts natural sound reduction, and helps the local wildlife.
Once the trees are removed, the area will be leveled, and any low-lying crevices filled with soil. The ground will have a 5% slope from one end of the greenhouse to the other, and from one end of the vertical food garden and coop area to the other, ensuring that water will drain properly. Anchors for the greenhouse framing will be installed directly into the ground, at the rate of one anchor for each 2-foot length of greenhouse siding.
GREENHOUSE: We chose a Yoderbilt Greenhouse because it is constructed 100% in the United States. Yoderbilt supplies a high-quality and sturdy structure that is reasonably priced, and that gives directly back to the American Economy. Each greenhouse is built and fully inspected for quality and durability. We chose a concrete floor for the greenhouse because it provides structural stability.
BENEFITS OF GREENHOUSE GARDENING:
· Greenhouses serve as a shield between nature and what is growing.
· Greenhouses allow growing seasons to be extended & improved.
· Greenhouses provide shelter from excess cold or heat and pests.
· The “Greenhouse Effect” is a serious consideration for the environment.
· Greenhouses impede the flow of thermal energy out and keeps it in.
· Greenhouses create a more temperate environment for plants.
· Greenhouses provide fresh fruit, greens, herbs, & vegetables all year.
We chose vertical planters for the greenhouse because we can grow at least 75% more fruits, herbs, microgreens, plants, shoots, sprouts, and vegetables than traditional greenhouse plantings.
BENEFITS OF THE GREENSTALK VERTICAL PLANTER:
· The stackable garden system saves space.
· Helps plants thrive with an internal slow drip watering system.
· Each cell watered is evenly, and no water is wasted.
· Each tier has 6 separate and deep pockets to plant in.
· The planter is made with nontoxic, BPA-free materials.
· The planter fits perfectly anywhere.
SEEDS & PLANTS: GREENHOUSE: MICROGREENS: Microgreens are the 2nd phase in the plant's life cycle, and 10-14 days old. The plant never has more key nutrients, minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants than around the 14-day mark in the microgreen phase! All plants go through this phase, but the most popular microgreens are broccoli, kale, radish, peas, and sunflower. Microgreens are usually 4-5 inches long and can be grown in soil or a substrate like jute or coconut fiber. At this point of harvest, they have real leaves, stems, and roots. To harvest, cut them off about one inch above the roots and eat them raw.
Health benefits of microgreens:
· Microgreens contain more vitamins, minerals, enzymes, antioxidants, and medicinal compounds than more mature vegetables.
· Microgreens are rich in polyphenols that lower heart disease risk.
· Microgreens are antioxidant-rich and lower the risk of memory disorders.
· Microgreens enhance cellular sugar uptake and prevent insulin resistance.
· Microgreens have intense and unique flavors.
· Microgreens are easy to grow.
Microgreens we chose for the greenhouse include Alfalfa, Amaranth, Arugula, Basil, Beet, Borage, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrot, Celosia, Chard, Chervil, Chicory, Cilantro, Cress, Cutting Celery, Dill, Fennel, Kale, Kohlrabi, Mizuna, Mustard, Pac Choi, Parsley, Purslane, Radish, Scallion, and Sorrel.
SEEDS & PLANTS: GREENHOUSE: SHOOTS: Shoots are the productive center of a plant that help to grow leaves, flowers, and the stem. Shoot are functionally responsible for photosynthesis in plants and also for their reproduction.
Health benefits of shoots:
· Shoots are rich in protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, fiber, and minerals.
· Shoots are very low in calories and fat.
· Shoots contain fiber that protects the digestive tract from food toxins.
· Shoots are rich in B-Complex vitamins essential for metabolic function.
· Shoots have a high copper content essential for red blood cell production.
· Shoots have high levels of potassium which control heart rate.
Shoots we chose for the greenhouse include Bean, Buckwheat, Nasturtium, Peas, Popcorn, Sunflower, and Winter Wheat.
SEEDS & PLANTS: GREENHOUSE: SPROUTS: Sprouts are the first phase of the plant's life cycle. They are barely germinated seeds that have grown in water for 2-5 days. They are usually only a couple inches long, don’t yet have real leaves, and can be eaten from seed to root to stem. Sprouts are pale in color, have not gone through photosynthesis, and have no green chlorophyll.
Health benefits of sprouts:
· Sprouts have the highest concentration and bioavailability of nutrients.
· Sprouts have a high enzyme content that improves digestion.
· Sprouts are rich in iron that is essential for red blood cell production.
· Sprouts are a good source of omega 3 fatty acids that reduce cholesterol.
· Sprouts have a high antioxidant content that reduces signs of aging.
Sprouts we chose for the greenhouse include Bean, Broccoli, Kale, Mustard, Onion, Radish, Sprouting Mix, and Winter Wheat.
SEEDS & PLANTS: GREENHOUSE: BERRIES: Berries are one of the healthiest foods available. They are delicious, nutritious, and provide a variety of impressive health benefits.
Health benefits of berries:
• Berries have a high concentration of antioxidants.
• Berries improve blood sugar and insulin resistance.
• Berries are high in fiber and low in net carbohydrates.
• Berries have strong anti-inflammatory properties.
• Berries help reduce the signs of aging.
Berries we chose for the greenhouse include Blackberry, Blueberry, Raspberry, and Strawberry.
SEEDS & PLANTS: GREENHOUSE: CULINARY HERBS: Culinary herbs are herbaceous plants that are used to add flavor and color to all types of meals. Herbs are the leaf part of a plant that is used in cooking, and they can be used fresh or dried. Fresh herbs often contain higher antioxidant levels compared to processed or dried herbs. To harness their health-promoting aspects, add the fresh herbs at the end of cooking to preserve these properties.
Health benefits of culinary herbs:
· Culinary herbs may help to prevent and manage heart disease.
· Culinary herbs provide anti-inflammatory benefits.
· Garlic, linseed, fenugreek and lemongrass help lower cholesterol.
· Garlic is useful for people with mildly elevated blood pressure.
· Fenugreek controls blood sugar and insulin activity.
· Culinary herbs are rich in antioxidants.
· Cloves, cinnamon, sage, oregano and thyme reduce bad cholesterol.
Culinary herbs we chose for the greenhouse include Amethyst, Lemon, and Thai Basil, Fine-curled Chervil, Garlic Chives, Dill, Lovage, Papalo, Parsley, Salad Burnet, Saltwort, Shiso, and Tarragon.
SEEDS & PLANTS: GREENHOUSE: MEDICINAL HERBS: Medicinal herbs are herbaceous plants that are used in traditional herbal medicine to aid, restore, and harmonize the body systems. The parts of the plant used include the roots, flowers, leaves, stems, bark, and seeds.
Health benefits of medicinal herbs:
· Adaptogens help the body adapt to stress, and normalize body systems.
· Nootropic herbs enhance memory and cognitive function.
· Immunomodulating herbs modify the body’s immune response.
· Anti-microbial herbs fight bacteria and fungus.
· Antioxidants stop the production of free radicals.
· Anti-inflammatories ease inflammation and pain.
Medicinal herbs we chose for the greenhouse include Borage, Calendula, Chamomile, Dandelion, Fennel, Lemon Balm, and Spilathes.
SEEDS & PLANTS: GREENHOUSE: ROOT VEGETABLES: Root vegetables are starchy vegetables that grow underneath the soil. The starchy part, called the storage organ, grows underground while other parts of the plant grow through the soil and to the surface. The storage organ provides the rest of the plant with the nutrients it needs to keep growing. While the peak season for most root vegetables is spring through fall, growing them in the greenhouse ensures that they're available all year long.
Health benefits of root vegetables:
· Root vegetables are packed with fiber to aid digestion.
· Root vegetables are high in antioxidant content.
· Root vegetables are low in calories, fat, and cholesterol.
· Root vegetables are rich in carotenoids which help protect the eyes.
· Root vegetables are nutrient dense and packed with vitamins.
· Root vegetables are high in potassium to help protect the heart.
Root vegetables we chose for the greenhouse include Baby and Early Wonder Beets, Red, Green, and Mini Cabbage, Carrots, and Radish.
SEEDS & PLANTS: GREENHOUSE: LEAFY GREENS: Leafy Greens are plant leaves that are eaten as a vegetable. Leafy greens are brimming with fiber, vitamins, and minerals, and eating a healthy portion every day provides protection from many diseases. The body feels more satisfied since it is getting the essential nutrients each cell requires to function properly.
Health benefits of leafy greens:
· Frequent consumption of leafy greens can lower mortality risk.
· Leafy greens are low in fat and high in fiber which protects the heart.
· Leafy greens have a low glycemic index which helps balance blood sugar.
· Leafy greens have high levels of osteocalcin which keeps bones healthy.
· Leafy greens are rich in beta-carotene which improves immunity.
Greens we chose for the greenhouse include Cheap Frills Mix, Cress, Kale, Mizuna, Sorrel, Spinach, and Swiss Chard.